Fall is a truly magical time in the Pacific Northwest. Crisp mornings and fresh produce at the farmer’s market lead to warm afternoons in cozy kitchens, where seasonal northwest specialties like Hot Mulled Cider, Salmon Chowder with Cilantro, Baby Pea and White Corn Salad, or Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Pizza with Rosemary might be made with just-plucked local ingredients.
The recipes in Northwest Inspirations, the latest cookbook from the Junior League of Olympia, capture the close ties that exist among land, water, seasons, and culinary culture in South Puget Sound.
The ideal for a community cookbook, Northwest Inspirations has eight chapters that are full of easy, delicious recipes that highlight local ingredients in every season.
- Starters & Beverages: Smoky Cured Salmon, Brie and Gorgonzola Quesadillas, Spicy Crab Dip
- Brunch & Breads: Apple Cranberry-Baked Bacon, Hazelnut French Toast, Apple and Squash Bruch Cake, Presto Gouda Beer Bread
- Soups: Hood Canal Shrimp Stew, Vegetarian Chili, Autumn Ham and Bean Soup, Thai Won Ton Soup with Shiitake Mushrooms and Spinach
- Salads: Roasted Artichoke and Potato Salad, Sesame Crab Salad
- Entrees: Spinach Meat Loaf, Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Apple Brandy Cream Sauce, Game Hens with Vermouth Marinade
- Fish & Shellfish: Grilled Halibut with Blueberry Mint Salsa, Curried Oysters, Clam and Vegetable Linguini
- Sides: Baked Walla Walla Onions, Mashed Chipotle Yams, Fiesta Squash
- Desserts: Blackberry Crisp, Sour Cream Apple Cake, Pumpkin Pistachio Pear Cake, Date Oatmeal Bars, Pumpkin Fudge
These are only a sample of the delicious recipes in Northwest Inspirations, all of which are well-suited for any splendid season or occasion.
Proceeds from the sale of Northwest Inspirations, will assist the Junior League of Olympia in developing healthy families through numerous community enhancement projects, including preventing child abuse and neglect.
Northwest Inspirations, (ISBN 978-0-9799486-0-2; $24.95) is available directly from the Junior League of Olympia: 360-357-6024; www.jlolympia.org.
Since 1961, Favorite Recipes® Press has specialized in helping non-profits and independent publishers from around the nation create, distribute, market and sell award-winning cookbooks. Favorite Recipes Press is an Imprint of FRP Books, Inc. and a member of the Southwestern/Great American Family of Companies.
Learn more about FRP Books, Inc. at www.frpbooks.com.